Colorado Hunting: 2016 Big Game Season Dates
If you have an interest in big game hunting, then it may be time to start planning your Colorado hunting trip and think about the opportunities you’ll have to chase an elk, one of North America’s most challenging big game animals. If you are a new hunter to this area, realize that very diverse weather conditions can exist, which make it difficult to know where to hunt.
When the season is early, dry conditions can drive the elk into the timber and places where hunters have not found them in the past. Or the normal migration patterns of the elk may not begin until after the regular rifle season. The hunter that is rewarded, is often the one that has adapted their techniques to the dark timber, where quality bulls often await.
Heavy rains in the spring provide a base of forage that in turn creates excellent antler growth. In fact, if the spring delivers excellent forage producing rains, you’ll be sure to find some remarkable bulls.
Below is a calendar of Big Season Colorado hunting dates for 2016:
- Archery (Elk, Deer) – August 26th through September 26, 2016
- Muzzleloader (Elk, Deer) – September 11 through September 18, 2016 1st
- Rifle Season (Elk only) – October 9 through October 13, 2016
- 2nd Rifle Season (Elk, Deer) – October 16 through October 24, 2016
- 3rd Rifle Season (Elk, Deer) – October 30 through November 7, 2016
- 4th Rifle Season (Elk, Deer) – November 10 through November 14, 2016
- High Country Trophy Deer – September 4 through September 12, 2016
- Mountain Lion – November 19 2015 through March 31, 2016
Nature’s Accent Taxidermy is ready to assist you with big game mounts. Contact us at 717-283-5616, for more information or feel free to browse our site for additional information on our services.